TeBe Party Army

E- Block International - A Weblog for "Away Fans" of Tennis Borussia Berlin.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Newcastle Deny Racism Charge

A strange incident indeed. From the BBC:


Roeder denies 'racism cover-up'

Roeder apologised, but insists it was not for racist comment
Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has denied trying to cover up accusations of racial abuse by midfielder Emre, who faces a Football Association charge.

Roeder admits going into the Everton dressing room at the end of Newcastle's 3-0 defeat to apologise for an incident involving the Turkish midfielder.

But he said:"At no time did I make any apology for racist comments because Emre had told me what he had said.

"And while not being particularly pleasant, it was not racist."

I was doing the decent thing because I am sensitive to the image of the sport

Roeder added: "I strongly deny the allegations that I was involved in a racist cover-up in relation to events that occurred during our match with Everton.

"At the conclusion of the match, I went into the opposition dressing room to apologise for what had been an ugly incident on the pitch.

"I was doing the decent thing because I am sensitive to the image of the sport."

The FA has since charged Emre with "using racially aggravated abusive and/or insulting words" following the incident, which occurred after Newcastle had been awarded a penalty.

Emre became involved in angry exchanges with Everton trio Tim Howard, Joleon Lescott and Joseph Yobo, with players from both sides trying to calm frayed tempers.

Referee Dermot Gallagher consulted his assistant, but having not heard what was said he spoke to the former Inter Milan star, but took no further action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home